Thursday, November 5, 2009

This is Why You're Drunk: Gin Martini

For a long time, I thought I didn't like the taste of gin. I'll blame it on the Army: back in the day, at a Christmas party for my National Guard company, we were to toast with the "company drink:" a truly awful concoction invented back in the 20's. The drink was "Gin & Bitters," and it was revolting.

Fast forward 15 years, and there's a bottle in the liquor cabinet just begging for another chance, and you know what? I liked it!


Quality counts for this recipe - don't embarrass me...

Gin Martini
2 Parts Gin (break-out the good stuff)
1 Part Dry Vermouth
3 Olives impaled on a stick
Ice
  1. Put everything except for the olives in a cocktail shaker
  2. Shake vigorously*
  3. Pour into fancy martini glass
  4. Add olives
  5. Enjoy with sophisticated friends
Remember: this is the kind of drink you enjoy with other people - people who can see how cool you are for drinking the "classic" martini. Good luck!

*NOTE: (10/24/2011) I've had a chance to re-think this recipe over the past 2 years. Everything's good EXCEPT the vigorous shaking. Now I prefer a gentle stir. That way, I'm not getting any shards of cracked ice in my drink (a concern of mine). So, now a conundrum for you: to shake vigorously or to stir gently? My advice: make two and taste for yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment