Monday, February 22, 2010

Review: Spicy Blue Corn Tortilla Chips

Yeah, it's a niche product. Actually, the wife said something like, "Hey, honored husband, we should start eating healthier." To me that means a trip through the health food aisle in the grocery store. Lo and behold, I found some "healthy" chips:


I didn't know what to expect. Actually, I had a few ideas what to expect:
  • A bag costing well over $4.00 for a paltry amount (eg. Terra Chips - total rip off!)
  • A crunchy twig-like texture
Thankfully, neither of those outcomes was experienced. The 9 oz. bag was $2.59 ($0.287 per oz) which compares favorably to the also-purchased Fritos at $3.69 for 14 oz ($0.263 per oz).

As for taste, sure, the texture's a little rustic, but there's a subtle blast of heat that makes them good. I'm not sayin' that I'm going to add them to the cart every week, but it was nice to be surprised by some "health" food for once.

Ingredients: Organic blue corn, expeller pressed oleic safflower and/or sunflower oil, dehydrated tomato, rice flour, salt, paprika, spices, smoked torula yeast, dehydrated onion, natural flavor.

Expeller pressed?!? WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment