Thursday, July 23, 2009

Recipe: Cheddar Corn Chowder

You've heard of “corn chowder,” well, this is the next logical step: corn chowder with CHEESE, and it’s God Damn delicious! I'll say this is more of a fall/winter soup, but it's been so cold this summer that I needed a little something to warm my bones.

Oh, hello bacon. I didn't know you'd be here

Makes approx. 1 gallon of soup

INGREDIENTS
  • 8 oz Bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 1 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 2 Large Onions, diced (or 3 medium onions)
  • 1 cup Celery, chopped
  • 4 Tbs Butter
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric
  • 6 Cups Chicken Broth/Stock
  • 2 lbs. Red Potatoes, diced*
  • 2 lbs. Frozen Corn
  • 1 Cup Half & Half
  • 6 oz White Cheddar Cheese
  • Salt & Black Pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a large stock pot, cook the bacon pieces in a little olive oil until “nearly crispy.” Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set-aside. Cook onion in bacon grease until softened (about 6 minutes). Add celery and cook for another 4 minutes.
  2. Add butter, flour, turmeric, salt & pepper to taste, and cook for 4 minutes. This will develop a roux that will thicken the soup.
  3. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Add cheese, half & half, and corn. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the soup returns to temperature and the cheese melts.
  5. Serve hot – crumble the cooked bacon on-top, you've earned it!

FAQs
  1. Bacon AND olive oil? Sounds greasy! >> Sometimes the bacon needs a little head start. I use a little olive oil because I think it adds to the taste. It’s a rich soup and doesn't taste greasy at all. Next time, keep your fucking opinions to yourself!
  2. Cheese and half & half & butter… Are you trying to kill me? >> This isn't diet food, ok? I’m sure there are plenty of salad recipes just waiting for you and your fat ass!
  3. Do I need to cook the corn before I put it in? >> Nope. The hot soup will “cook” that corn just fine. Be sure to bring the soup back up to temperature before serving. The cold half & half and frozen corn will drop the temp quite a bit – it should only take a few minutes to get it back.
  4. What is “turmeric,” and what can I substitute? >> I don’t know what it is besides a spice that they sell at the store, but I know that it makes the soup a very nice shade of yellow. I wouldn't recommend substituting – surely someone of your means and wherewithal can find the time to go to the store to get some.

NOTES
  • Potatoes come in 5 lb. bags - use half a bag, and you'll have another 2.5 lbs. for hash brown breakfast tomorrow.

1 comment: