Sunday, November 6, 2011

This is Why You're Drunk: Badass Manhattan

Let's get this straight right away: I know that the "typical" Manhattan recipe is 2:1 whiskey to vermouth plus a shot of bitters. I see two problems with this recipe:
  • Not enough whiskey
  • Too many bitters
So I've developed the preferred recipe. In a bar I'll drink whatever comes in the glass, but when I'm home in my jammies, and the Manhattan nightmares come creeping, this is what I use to drown them

I'm gonna enjoy this...

Badass Manhattan
3 parts bourbon (ahem, quality matters. Try Woodford Reserve - it's real good)
1 part sweet vermouth
1 cherry
Cherry juice
Ice
  1. Fill a cocktail shaker half-full with ice
  2. Enter the alcohol (bourbon & vermouth)
  3. Stir - don't shake
  4. Drop a cherry and a little juice (maybe 1/2 tsp?) into a clean cocktail glass (you know, a martini glass)
  5. Strain your liquor into the glass
  6. Enjoy with friends (or alone - I won't judge you)
That's it!

FAQs
  • Is that it? >> Yeah, it's simple. I saw some receipes for super-complex Manhattans out there, but are you really going to spend 30 minutes caramelizing pears and all that nonsense? No, you are not.
  • Do you really put a full part of vermouth in your Manhattan? >> Well, no, I don't. I usually put ~3/4 of a part of vermouth. I guess I prefer the taste of bourbon to the taste of vermouth - sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment